Search and Yee shall find (Maybe)

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Super Bowl Saturday?

Super Bowl Sunday XLIII has come and gone and most of us are looking forward to next years football season.

Every Super Bowl Sunday I always come back to the same question. Why not change the Super Bowl to Saturday?

During the regular football season, college games are played on Saturday and the NFL plays on Sunday so both do not compete on the same day.

By the time the Super Bowl comes around, the college bowl games are over so why not have the Super Bowl on Saturday?

I found a poll on a yahoo chat forum and it seems the results were mixed. Those who opposed a change cited tradition and having an excuse to take off of work on Monday.

I would fully support the Super Bowl changing to Saturday for the following reasons:

1. More people would watch and enjoy the game and not have it in the back of their minds that they have work the next day. Super Bowl kickoff is around 6:30 PM and not over until after 11PM.

2. People will have an extra day to recover from their hangovers. Hangovers are not fun.

3. More people would be more productive on the Monday after. Some people can't get the day off.

4. Besides, NFL Playoff games are played on Saturday after the college season is over. Why not the Super Bowl!?

I am going to prepare and send a comment to the NFL. I encourage all those who agree with me to also contact the NFL. Please click on the blog title up above for the NFL website. Please keep your message civil and respectful.

Also, please take a moment to complete the poll on the left. All comments for this topic would be appreciated. Thanks!

5 comments:

myrtle beached whale said...

I am with you on the Saturday Super Bowl. When I was in the military, stationed overseas the SB came on in the middle of the night. Monday morning, we often had the Superbowl flu. It was accepted that many of us came in late if at all. It would have been a great time for the Russians to attack.

Greg said...

Thanks very much for the comment on my blog. I agree with you the Super Bowl would be better if played on a Saturday! I like your blog very much and will be back.

Lee said...

I totally agree with moving the Super Bowl to Saturday. Was at some friends to watch and of course the party had to end as soon as the bowl was over since they both worked the next day. Do I think this might happen? That's iffy, a petition might get attention but Sunday has become a tradition and those are hard to change.

Thanks for checking out my blog yesterday.

Cheers

Andrea said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog!! Nice to "meet" you. And I totally agree that the Superbowl should be on a Saturday!! :)

Patty said...

I never did understand the Saturday thing.