Search and Yee shall find (Maybe)

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Unwanted Text Messages




For the past month, I have been receiving text messages from a number I do not recognize.

This has happened to me in the past, and I simply ignored the messages.

Normally, the messages stop at one or two. I simply sum it up to an honest mistake by the sender.

Not this time.

I have been receiving at least two or three text messages a week late at night asking "What's up?" or "How ya doing?"

I chose the ignore and delete approach, hoping this person would take the hint.

However, the other night I received a profanity laced text message from this same number demanding why I do not respond.

So I decided to call my cell phone provider to discuss my options.

My cell phone provider tells me either I can request a new number or sign up for parental controls to block the number that is sending the messages. For an additional fee of course.

I was advised to keep my number more secure and to be careful on who I give my number to.

Also, that if the messages become threatening to save them and contact the authorities.

I do not think it will come to that.

You can block an e-mail, but you can't block a text message. Cell phone providers need to work on that.

1 comment:

Barbara Martin said...

I would find that terribly irritating. Perhaps you ought to contact them once and tell them to stop. I have the odd hang-up call left on my voice-mail or someone leaves a message by mistake because the wires were mixed. Once I had the same problem as you and when I phoned about it, they realized their error of mixing up one of the numbers. The calls stopped.